Sunday, October 14, 2018

Travel Journal (Fauxdori)

The tutorial/design of this Travel Journal Set (fauxdori) is from Paper Phenomenon. I've been wanting to make it for a while, to the point that a few years ago I gathered the supplies to make it, but when I finally went to make it recently I couldn't find what I had purchased, so had to buy some of it again. I was curious to work with Kraft-Tex (I didn't lose that), and the idea of using Heat and Bond to cover it with cardstock was intriguing.

This journal is a version of a Midori travel notebook. It contains small insert booklets that can be used, removed and replaced. If you don't want to make them, you can buy them online.

Here's the one I made. The cardstock I used was digital paper, and I added photos of the recipient's wedding into the graphics of the paper to personalize it.
The cardstock is ironed onto the Kraft-Tex, an untearable paper/fabric you can get in different colors and sizes. Heat and Bond is used to fuse it to the cardstock and it adheres really well.

The cover is a piece that is folded up from the bottom, making the outside pockets. Pockets are added on the inside cover as well.
There are three notebooks that fit inside, held in by elastic bands. This first one contained watercolor paper, as my friend is an artist and love multi-media art. I made it so that one side of the page opens up to make for a larger work surface.
The cover of each fauxdori insert has a pocket (the bottom edge is folded up to make it).


This second insert contains artist sketch paper (lighter weight than the watercolor paper, but heavier than copy paper)

And, this third insert was made with copy paper, not so much for art, but for journaling, notes, lists, etc.
This cardstock cover (printed from digi paper by Carta Bella - Metropolitan Girl) has four rows of buildings on it. I altered it to flip the bottom row of houses so that when the book opens, the pocket folds right-side up.

Elastic bands are threaded through eyelet holes in the spine that hold the inserts in place, as well as one on the back used to hold the book closed.

The cover is a bit stiffer than I was hoping for. I was thinking it would be softer and more leather like. I'm hoping overtime the paper fibers will loosen up a bit. I was also wondering how grunge paper would work for the cover, as it is not tearable either.

Thanks for taking a look. If you're interested, you can get the pattern and tutorials from Paper Phenomenon (Kathy King). Also take a look at the amazing things she designs. And, there's an amazing Paper Phenomenon Fan community on Facebook. Kathy does live youtube video get-togethers a couple of times a week as well.

Cherish and Document Your Memories!

















No comments:

Post a Comment