Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Winter Sled Decor

I have been wanting to make this darling sled for some six years now. It was designed in 2012 by Thienly Azim, who was a DT for SVG Cuts. All portions of the sled were made from different kits from SVG Cuts. Back when it came out I had been 3D paper crafting for just a year or so, and was a bit intimidated to try it. But, I could never get it off of my mind, and finally jumped in. It ended up being pretty easy! And, having so many SVG Cuts' kits/collections now, I had every one needed to make it.
I love how this turned out. I added a few long square supports on the underside where the sled rails adhere to the cross supports to make it a bit more stable. I may have attached the rails at the wrong place, as I also had to build up the layers of the steering cross piece to make it look more proportionate.

Here's what the basic sled looks like before being embellished. Part of me really likes it just like this, as you can see the rivets and the wood grain so well.

But, you can't beat how Thienly designed the final sled. Instead of paper pine needles, I went with the real thing and went to my front yard and picked a sprig off of our overgrown pine tree. When, and if, they turn brown, I'll probably make the paper ones to replace it.

If you're interested in making this you can check out SVG Cuts' blog posting by Thienly back in 2012. It will list all of the kits used in making the sled, with all measurements and instructions included.

Next, I made a sturdy box in which to store the sled. Actually two of them, since I made a second sled as a Bunco gift. Here are the two boxes.




The finished sled is 9.5", so these boxes were custom made at 10.5"x5"x4.5", with three thicknesses of  80 lb card stock. Thanks for stopping by!

Time for Snow Play!






No comments:

Post a Comment