Sunday, January 20, 2019

Storing Vintage China Christmas Bell Ornaments

My grandma decorated her Christmas tree with these little Porcelain bells for as long as I can remember. I'm assuming they have been around since the 40s, well before I was born. They have such a delicate ring, and images and sentiments on each one.  I am lucky enough to have received them upon her death, and I do treasure them.
Up until this Christmas I have stored them in their original box, a small kraft, lightweight cardboard box that did not offer a whole lot of protection. I couldn't protect them anymore in that original box as it was falling apart, so decided to make a box just for them. I did keep a piece of the top of this box, as you can see in the above photo, which showed the cost of the whole box of 10 bells (78¢) or or one bell (9¢). I glued this piece of the old box into the lid of the box I made, along with a tag with my grandmother's name/dates/my name, etc.
I designed this box to be the exact size I would need to store the bells. I made the insert to keep all the bells separated. I first made a mock-up of the inside separators by cutting scraps of cardstock by hand, and then followed this by making a svg cut file from scratch in the ECAL software (a version of SCAL made specifically for the Sizzix Eclips electronic cutting machine). This is what the insert cut file looked like once designed.
The box works perfectly for the bells.The top image was designed in Photoshop.
Thanks for taking a look, and sharing this little memory with me.

Happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment