Tuesday, August 8, 2023

HP Sorting Hats - Hogsmeade Houses

 I'm not quite sure what to call this project. I've never seen anything like it. My 8-year-old grandson is reading the 4th Harry Potter book. He saw a photo of someone that made sorting hats as cookies, with a little indentation on the inside. A small house charm was made, decorated and inserted before the front of the cookie was attached. Then, when you'd break the cookie you'd get to eat both  house charm and the cookie.

What does this have to do with me and paper crafting? I received a message with a photo of the cookies which said that my grandboy wanted me to make this cookie project in paper. Being a sucker for my grandboys, I ask questions. My older grandboy and I discussed what he wanted. Burlap on the back. Little house charms that would go into the hat. Four, one for each house, so someone could choose a hat and check to see what house they are sorted into.

Here's what we came up with.
We chose an image. I cut four of them. I also cut solid cardstock shapes of the hat, one extra for the top and two for the bottom. I needed to make some sort of well of area where the charm would set inside. I ended up using some thick twine around the sides of the hat. Also, at this point I needed to figure out how to close the hat. I used some 1/4" round magnets, 1/32" thick. They have adhesive on one side.
I made an insert to cover the magnet that fit between the twine. Like I said before, there are two layers of the brown cardstock here. Doesn't show up in the photo, but Wink of Stella was added to the stars.
Next I made the house charms. Four thicknesses of cardstock. Backed and edged with gold metallic paint. Stickles over each of the house mascots to give them some dimension.


Then the front/top. There's the photo layer and a solid layer glued to the back. I scored just above the brim of the hat and glued it to the bottom edge/brim. I attached the negative of the magnet to the positive already attached to the back. Then shut the front so the magnet would stick to the top in the correct position. I then got another small brown piece of cardstock to cover the magnet just at the tip.
The twine gave it the perfect amount of space to fully close the top.



And, that's about it. I can't wait to give it to him. I'm pleased how it turned out...whatever it is. Still not sure what to call it. I'll let grandboy name it. Update: Grandboy calls them just Sorting Hats. 
I made a quick bag in which he could carry and store the hats. He just loves the hats.
Can't wait to find out what house we all get sorted into.

"Hmm, difficult. VERY difficult.
Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either."

No comments:

Post a Comment