Sunday, March 5, 2023

What's Cooking!

When your grandboy is turning 4 years old, and he tells you he wants an oven for the Play-Doh cookies on a shabby piece of cardboard he made at preschool, you step up.

I had no idea what I was doing here. There is absolutely no pattern. All I can tell you is everything fit 12"x12" A/C cardstock. It had to be sturdy, so I used heavy chipboard for the structure, covered with the A/C cardstock. I used acetate for the window in the oven door. And, the door closed with two small magnets hid behind cardstock. I took each step one at a time, with no grand plan or pattern. Just figured it out as I went.


These are the cookies he made at pre-school with PlayDoh and on a "cookie sheet" (a scrap piece of cardboard). This is what precipitated his need for an oven. He cracks me up. If you read to the end, you will find out what happened to them.

His other request was that the oven have a light. I made a hole in the back and inserted a  tea light, so he can turn it on and off from the back. The grate inside is made with metallic silver cardstock, which is also used on all of the dials/knobs and burners. 


I used two sizes of wooden discs and round wooden balls which I painted white. All of the knobs for the burners turn (another request from the little guy).
And, a little decor on the sides just for fun. They were the pieces that were cut out from the grate in the oven.

This took me three days to make, and turned out really cute and fun. My grandboy was thrilled with it. Even his eight-year-old brother liked it.

The Play-Doh cookies met an untimely demise, as the dog ate them all. And, as you know, Play-Doh is made from tons of salt. Following her consumption, she proceeded to drink at least a gallon of water from her water dispenser. I don't need to go into details about what happened next! (Glad it wasn't at my house!)

Hey Good Lookin' What Cha Got Cookin'

No comments:

Post a Comment